Lauren Sherwood assists clients in procuring patents across a wide range of technology areas. To achieve successful outcomes, Lauren strives to gain a comprehensive understanding of client goals and expectations unique to each innovative technology. She utilizes this understanding to guide strategic application drafting and prosecution in order to efficiently and effectively grow client patent portfolios.
Lauren began her legal career as a patent agent at a virtual, intellectual property boutique focused on patent counseling and prosecution and joined BoMc from a national, full-service intellectual property law firm where she practiced as an associate patent attorney with the firm’s Electrical and Software group. In those positions, Lauren predominantly prepared and prosecuted patent applications across software, telecommunications, and biotechnology areas. Specifically, Lauren has experience with cloud and edge computing technologies, productivity software, user interface functionality, artificial intelligence and machine learning, media streaming technologies, e-commerce software, portrait photography systems and software, wireless networks including 5G and IEEE 802.11be technologies, imaging systems, and diagnostic laboratory instrumentation and software. In addition to patent procurement tasks, Lauren performed patentability and invalidity analyses. Before practicing in the legal field, Lauren worked as a clinical research coordinator within a microbiology lab at the University of Florida.
* Admitted only in TN. Practice limited to matters and proceedings before federal courts and agencies.
- Prepared and prosecuted hundreds of patent applications across various technology areas.
- Taught fundamental skills and tasks of patent drafting and prosecution as an Adjunct Professor at the University of Tennessee College of Law.
- Served as a principal patent procurement team member for several Fortune 500 companies that provided a range of computer, network, retail, and financial services.
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- University of Tennessee College of Law, J.D., summa cum laude, May 2018
- University of Florida, B.S., Chemistry with an emphasis in Biochemistry, cum laude, May 2012
- University of Florida, B.A., Anthropology, cum laude, May 2012
- Tennessee Bar Association, Intellectual Property Section, Member
- Knoxville Bar Association, Member
- The Hamilton Burnett American Inn of Court, Member