Ferrell Alman advises companies on developing successful patent strategies, including patent preparation and prosecution, licensing, pre-litigation and litigation, and patent portfolio due diligence. As an attorney to companies both large and small, Ferrell assists companies in formulating and refining complex risk analyses, and he has extensive experience advising on monetization and damages issues.
Ferrell has represented clients in numerous technology areas, including cybersecurity and encryption software, wireless data management software, pharmaceuticals, semiconductor design, home security systems and software, medical devices, file system management software, network security, telecommunications cabling infrastructure, outdoor recreation equipment, and wireless networks.
Ferrell also has extensive litigation experience, including jury trials, bench trials, Hatch-Waxman litigation, and complex damages analyses involving lost profits, price erosion, market contraction, and reasonable royalties. Prior to joining BoMc, Ferrell was a member of patent prosecution, counseling, and litigation teams at several leading intellectual property law firms.
* Admitted only in NC. Practice limited to matters and proceedings before federal courts and agencies.
- Represented a database security company in bet-the-company litigation that settled favorably during a jury trial.
- Managed patent prosecution and patent licensing negotiation strategies for a publicly traded telecommunications cabling company.
- Represented a leading pharmaceutical company in a damages jury trial that settled favorably after closing arguments.
- Successfully defended subsidiary of a prominent software company against claims of patent infringement, obtaining partial summary judgment that resulted in favorable settlement prior to trial.
- North Carolina
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- J.D., Washington & Lee University School of Law, 2012
- Lead Articles Editor, Washington & Lee Law Review; Roy L. Steinheimer Award for Excellence in Commercial Law
- B.S., Biological Engineering, Mississippi State University, 2008