Matthew Seward practices patent application preparation and prosecution before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO), assisting in every aspect of preparation and prosecution. He has experience with applications in varied technologies, including robotics, transportation, heavy machinery, consumer products, medical devices, green energy, and display devices. Matthew has assisted in the acquisition of numerous patent rights, and regularly conducts examiner interviews to efficiently advance prosecution. Matthew consistently leverages his experience at the USPTO to achieve applicants’ objectives.
Prior to completing law school, Matthew joined the USPTO as a patent examiner. During his tenure at the USPTO, Matthew gained significant experience with medical devices, including implants, surgical tools, and computer-assisted procedures. He focused on examining patent applications in dentistry, while assisting in other medical areas. Matthew also detailed as a clerk for an administrative patent judge at the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB). During this detail, Matthew participated in various ex parte appeals in a wide range of technologies.
Prior to joining BoMc, Matthew practiced patent law with an international intellectual property boutique law firm, where he assisted in the development of patent portfolios for multinational corporations in the mechanical and electro-mechanical arts. He also frequently prosecuted computer-implemented patent applications.
* Admitted only in MD. Practice limited to matters and proceedings before federal courts and agencies.
- Conducted over one hundred examiner interviews.
- Drafted appeal brief that resulted in an issued patent without the need to proceed to the PTAB.
- Clerked for an administrative patent judge at the PTAB.
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- University of Connecticut School of Law, J.D., January 2012
- Brown University, Sc.M., Biomedical Engineering, May 2008
- Worcester Polytechnic Institute, B.S., Biomedical Engineering, May 2006
- Maryland State Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member