Joel Simon’s practice is focused on helping clients add value to their patent portfolios. He has drafted and prosecuted patents both in the U.S. and abroad. Joel has experience in a wide variety of technologies that include automotive devices, power tools, green technology, 3D printing, MEMs, and computing technology. He has assisted clients of all sizes, from startups to Fortune 500 companies, with careful attention to each client’s individual needs and goals.
Before joining BoMc, Joel practiced at a boutique IP firm in the Midwest. During law school, Joel clerked at an incubator that helped startups get off the ground, and helped start a division of his school’s law clinic that focused on helping clients with IP issues.
* Admitted only in IN. Practice limited to matters and proceedings before federal courts and agencies.
- Secured a family of patents domestically and abroad for a set of widely available power tool products.
- Found a business solution that settled a distribution dispute between a U.S. entity and a foreign company.
- During law school, worked as a freelance software developer to create a program to automate analysis of the effects of implanted devices on neural tissue.
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Case Western Reserve University School of Law, J.D., with certificates in Law Technology & the Arts and Design, Innovation, and Intellectual Property Management, May 2012
- Washington University in St. Louis, B.S., Mechanical Engineering, May 2009
- Second Author. “Reduction of Autofluorescence at the Microelectrode-cortical Tissue Interface Improves Antibody Detection.” Journal of Neuroscience, January 15, 2012.