Jessica Winchester’s practice includes advising companies on patent procurement, patent portfolio analysis, and contentious proceedings before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO). Jessica has experience in a wide array of technologies including fluid pumps, Green Technology applications, medical devices, heavy equipment systems, consumer products, healthcare IT, food industry, vehicle acoustics, and agricultural and industrial machinery. Jessica has worked hand-in-hand with inventors and companies to mine technologies and develop strong patent portfolios aimed at advancing business goals including securing market exclusivity. She has experience collaborating with companies of all sizes, from startups to Fortune 500 companies, to cultivate valuable protection for their innovations and secure business advantage.
Jessica has managed the domestic and foreign patent portfolios for numerous medical device companies, and worked closely with clients to align their innovations with their business goals. She has been entrusted with hundreds of applications as an attorney and former patent examiner. She assists clients in evaluation of competitor patent portfolios with an eye towards freedom-to-operate studies, due diligence investigations, potential corporate acquisitions, and licensing opportunities. She has had consistent success leveraging her experience as a patent examiner to advance applications through the USPTO.
Jessica has developed successful positions while representing clients in inter partes reexamination and inter partes review proceedings. She has worked closely with clients and experts to develop persuasive arguments for those seeking protection for lucrative intellectual property assets.
Jessica joined Bookoff McAndrews after practicing as a patent practitioner for five years at a large international IP firm, and serving as a patent examiner for two years at the USPTO.
- Assisted a client in the protection of a highly profitable product through the newly developed inter partes review proceeding at the USPTO.
- Invited to speak internationally on the topic of patent portfolio management and strategy.
- Worked closely with startup medical device company to position their IP portfolio for a multimillion dollar acquisition.
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Catholic University of America, Columbus School of Law J.D., cum laude, May 27, 2011
- The Ohio State University, B.S., Mechanical Engineering, March 19, 2006
- Recognized by Super Lawyers as a “Rising Star” for intellectual property, 2016-2018.
- Author. “Hope for Clarification of the On-Sale Bar on the Horizon,” BoMc Blog, April 19, 2018.
- Author. “Timing Considerations When Filing a Child Patent Application,” BoMc Blog, April 8, 2015.
- Author. “Basic Considerations for Application Filing,” BoMc Blog, February 27, 2015.
- Coauthor. “Bridging Points Of Contention In University Tech Transfer,” Law360, June 24, 2014.
- Coauthor. “A Patent-Claim Clarity Crackdown is on the Horizon,” Law360, March 25, 2014.
- American Intellectual Property Association (AIPLA), Member
- American Bar Association (ABA), Member
- The Mechanical Engineering Ohio State Alumni Society, Member, 2005