Jason Portis assists clients with their domestic and international IP portfolios. He has experience in multiple industries including plastics, ceramics, medical devices, petrochemical extraction and refining, nanoparticles, and pharmaceutical and gene therapeutics for clients ranging from startups to industry leaders. Jason provides his clients with focused strategies for protecting and developing intellectual property to achieve their technological and commercial goals.
Jason counsels clients on IP strategy including patent infringement, validity, and freedom-to-operate. He also manages patent prosecution for a variety of industries, especially those in the chemical and biotechnological sectors. His work includes advising clients on strategies for drafting and prosecuting patents before the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO).
Additionally, Jason assists clients with contested proceedings before the USPTO. He draws from his experience not only in proceedings before the USPTO, but also his experience in patent litigation at both the trial and appellate level. Jason works to find favorable and efficient resolutions to contested patent disputes that comprehensively address a client’s business needs.
Prior to joining BoMc, Jason worked for a nationally-recognized firm assisting clients with IP preparation, prosecution, and litigation matters. Before attending law school, Jason spent over five years in cross-disciplinary research, focusing on gene regulation and signaling pathways of liver cancer.
* Admitted only in OH. Practice limited to matters and proceedings before federal courts and agencies.
- Managed international patent families for multiple Fortune 500 chemical manufacturers.
- Represented a large international company in a series of related inter partes review proceedings.
- Successfully developed and implemented a multi-faceted strategy for IP protection for a startup enterprise before product launch.
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Northwestern University School of Law, J.D., 2016
- Michigan State University, B.S., Genomics & Molecular Genetics, 2013
- Michigan State University, B.S., Chemistry, 2013
- Author. “PTAB Publishes AIA Trial Practice Guide Update,” BoMc Blog, October 4, 2018.