Jameson Ma works intimately with his clients to develop patent strategies tailored to meeting their business objectives. Jameson never gives advice in a vacuum, but rather with a deep understanding of his client’s technology, budget, and competitive landscape. To that end, Jameson helps startups and Fortune 100 companies alike develop intellectual property to protect their market share. Jameson also help his clients mitigate risk by analyzing competitor IP, and challenging competitor patents via post-grant proceedings at the USPTO. Jameson also represents his clients in licensing negotiations and other adverse proceedings outside of the USPTO.
- Former USPTO examiner.
- Manages global patent prosecution and competitor analysis surrounding a commercial therapy and device for a Fortune 500 medical device company.
- Assisted a startup in patent procurement and discussions that resulted in a commercial partnership with a Fortune 50 company.
- Serves on the Editorial Board of Landslide® magazine, the flagship publication of the American Bar Association Section of Intellectual Property Law (ABA-IPL).
- Serves as a Director and Officer of the Cornell Engineering Alumni Association, managing the administration of funding to undergraduate engineering student project teams.
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- The George Washington University Law School, J.D., 2013
- Cornell University, B.S., Biological Engineering, cum laude, 2008
- Recognized as a “Rising Star” by Super Lawyers for intellectual property, 2017-2018.
- Author. “Citing References from Parent Applications in Continuing Applications,” BoMc Blog, February 24, 2015.
- Coauthor. “Justices Unsure Of What To Answer In Limelight V. Akamai,” Law360, April 30, 2014.
- Coauthor. “A Patent-Claim Clarity Crackdown is on the Horizon,” Law360, March 25, 2014.
- Coauthor. “Patent Prosecutors Must Focus On Enforcement Trends,” Law360, March 7, 2014.
- Coauthor. “When Post-AIA Patent App Claims Priority to Pre-AIA App,” Law360, January 23, 2014.
- Coauthor. ”The Expanding Role Of Patent Examiner Interviews,” Law360, July 25, 2013.
- Coauthor. ”Why Startups Should Focus On Patents Early On,” Law360, June 26, 2013.
- Coauthor. “Membership in a Defensive Patent-Aggregation Service May Provide a Plausible Basis for Alleging Pre-suit Knowledge of a Patent for a Claim of Willful Infringement,” LES Insights, September 24, 2012.
- Coauthor. “Failure to Comply with IPR Policy of Standards Setting Organization May Support Antitrust and Breach of Contract Claims,” LES Insights, July 23, 2012.
- Coauthor. “Causal Nexus Between Accused Infringement and Alleged Harm Required for Grant of a Preliminary Injunction,” LES Insights, June 18, 2012.
- Coauthor. “District Court Finds Willful Infringement Does Not Necessarily Warrant Full Enhancement of Treble Damages,” LES Insights, February 6, 2012.
- Coauthor. “A Unique Sequence in the N-Terminal Regulatory Region Controls the Nuclear Localization of KLF8 by Cooperating with the C-Terminal Zinc-Fingers,” Cell Research, 2009.
- American Bar Association Section of Intellectual Property Law (ABA-IPL), Vice-Chair Diversity Action Group, 2016-2017
- ABA-IPL, Vice-Chair Law Practice Management Committee, 2016-2017
- ABA-IPL, Section of Intellectual Property Law, Fellow, 2014-2017
- ABA-IPL, Section of Intellectual Property Law, Membership Board, 2015-2016
- ABA-IPL, Section of Intellectual Property Law, Magazine Board, 2015-2017
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA), Vice-Chair Online Programs, 2015-2017