Ankit Aggarwal focuses on developing value-add patent portfolios by considering each client’s goal hierarchy, technology fields, and competitive landscape. He manages domestic and international patent portfolios in close collaboration with client legal and business teams.
Ankit performs analyses including freedom-to-operate (FTO) searches and landscape searches to aid product development and, when necessary, develops litigation support strategies. Ankit has also represented clients at the PTAB in developing inter partes review (IPR) and post grant review (PGR) strategies. In that regard, he has experience preparing pleadings, expert witness reports, and conducting deposition proceedings. He also provides due diligence and strategic counseling services related to IP transactions.
Ankit has previously served as Lead IP and General Counsel at a marketing technology company where he managed multiple outside counsel. His in-house experience assists with understanding client goals, flagging risks, and developing mitigation strategies to proactively address such risks.
Ankit started his professional career as a systems engineer at The Boeing Company, where he developed military-grade wireless communication components. He was also the lead engineer of Alternative Fuels Systems where he designed the electrical components and software modules for a fuel conversion system that used vegetation to generate biodiesel.
- Managed an industry wide freedom-to-operate (FTO) project in preparation for an initial public offering (IPO).
- Managed multiple patent projects for a Fortune 50 company. The projects included patent harvests, competitor analysis, and related defensive/offensive actions.
- Initiated and oversaw an artificial intelligence patent program for a medical device company.
- Conducted target patent portfolio analysis to qualify a multi-billion dollar target acquisition.
- Managed team of seven outside counsel firms as Lead IP and General Counsel at a marketing technology company.
- Maintained a zero litigation loss record.
- Successfully managed a revenue generating legal department.
- Drafted over 250 patent applications.
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- University of Maryland School of Law, J.D., 2012
- University of Maryland, B.S., Electrical Engineering, 2008
- Author. “Getting More Out of Examiner Interviews.” BoMc Blog, June 16, 2022.
- Author. “Supreme Court May Weaken PTAB’s Ruling Authority.” BoMc Blog, July 21, 2021.
- Author. “Okay, Google: Can AI be Granted Inventorship to a Patent?” Mondaq, October 15, 2019.
- Villanova University, Guest IP Lecturer (Semesterly)
- Angel Venture Fair, Venture Capital Panel, Panelist/Moderator (Annually)
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA), Member
- South Asian Bar Association (SABA), Member