Matthew Sim’s practice includes drafting and prosecuting patent applications before the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO). He has extensive experience working on patent applications for a variety of technologies within the electrical, mechanical, and computer science fields.
Matt has a strong background in patent prosecution. He is a former primary examiner at the USPTO with more than 12 years of prosecution experience focused on display and touchscreen technologies. During his time at the USPTO, he examined hundreds of patent applications and drafted more than 30 Examiner’s Answers to Appeal Briefs. He also led weekly quality enhancement meetings for the examiners to provide technical and legal guidance with respect to patent examination.
Matt joined BoMc after working as a patent agent at an intellectual property boutique firm, where he drafted office action responses as well as patent claims for international clients ranging from startups to multinational corporations.
Before practicing patent prosecution, Matt worked as a reliability engineer for a major South Korean consumer electronics company. He gained hands on experience working with complex electronic circuitry in various display systems. He also worked closely with the product design engineers to develop and test display products.
- Former primary patent examiner.
- Detailed at the Patent Training Academy and the Training Quality Assurance Specialists at the USPTO.
- During law school, worked as a student advisor at Mason Veterans and Servicemembers Legal Clinic to assist and advise current and former military veterans and servicemembers on legal matters.
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- George Mason University Antonin Scalia Law School, J.D., 2019
- North Carolina State University, B.S., Electrical Engineering, 2003
- Author. “PTAB Informative Decisions on Patent Eligibility: Ex parte Hannun,” BoMc Blog, January 24, 2019.
- American Intellectual Property Association (AIPLA), Member
- Korean American Intellectual Property Bar Association (KAIPBA), Member