John Addicks works closely with clients to develop patent strategies tailored to meeting their business objectives. John dives deeply into the technology, budget, and competitive landscape of a client to develop a well-rounded patent strategy before giving advice. John has helped organizations of all sizes develop intellectual property to gain and protect valuable and hard-won market share. John’s technological experience is wide-ranging: from robotics to optical assemblies to assembly line applications to medical devices. John’s experience also includes patent analytics and strategy.
Before practicing law, John led small teams and was a qualified Ship’s Engineer in the reactor plant of nuclear-powered submarines in the United States Navy. He holds an active Top Secret security clearance.
* Admitted only in OH. Practice limited to matters and proceedings before federal courts and agencies.
- Worked with a team of IP lawyers in a patent harvesting and filing program for a Japanese Big Three automaker.
- Performed design patent clearance for a major international food conglomerate.
- Worked with small medical device startup to protect innovations and evaluate its portfolio in anticipation of sale to larger conglomerate.
- Helped a large automaker determine competitor strategies and scout patent landscapes.
- Worked with a university to monetize and license its patent portfolio.
- Managed portions of a Fortune 5 company’s international trademark portfolio and counseled clients on intellectual property licensing agreements and trade secret protections.
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- University of Texas, J.D. 2015
- United States Naval Academy, B.S., Mechanical Engineering, 2007
- American Intellectual Property Association (AIPLA), Member
- Cincinnati Bar Association (CBA), Member
- Ohio State Bar Association (OSBA), Member