Elissa Knoff’s practice includes patent prosecution and client counseling across a broad range of technological areas. She leverages her thorough understanding of patent law and her perspective on a patent’s lifecycle from procurement through enforcement in advising BoMc’s clients. Elissa has particular experience drafting and prosecuting patent applications for medical devices, mechanical inventions, and software. She also counsels clients regarding the intellectual property landscape surrounding current and future products.
Before joining BoMc, Elissa was a patent litigation associate at a multinational general practice law firm. There, she represented clients through various stages of litigation. She developed both legal and factual theories, including by working with expert consultants and by thoroughly vetting prosecution histories. Through her prior practice, Elissa developed insight into the rigors that litigation places on patents and the importance of developing strong patent portfolios which can be effectively asserted.
Prior to entering practice, Elissa served as a law clerk to the Honorable Timothy B. Dyk at the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit. While in law school, Elissa served as an extern for the Honorable Joan H. Lefkow at the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois. She also served as Executive Articles Editor for the Northwestern Journal of Technology and Intellectual Property.
- Counsels clients ranging from start-ups to multinational companies.
- Served as in-house counsel to a leading medical device company during secondment.
- Represented clients in asserting patents and in defending against charges of infringement.
- Assisted with drafting of judicial opinions covering a wide range of technologies and legal issues as a law clerk at the Federal Circuit.
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Northwestern University School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, Order of the Coif, June 2014
- Northwestern University, M.S.Ed., Secondary Education, August 2010
- Northwestern University, B.A., Physics, June 2008
- Author. “Supreme Court Strikes Down PTAB Partial-Institution Practice—SAS Institute v. Iancu,” BoMc Blog, May 2, 2018.
- Author. “USPTO Announces Fee Increases,” BoMc Blog, November 27, 2017.
- Coauthor. “Supreme Court to Determine the Future of the PTAB’s Post-Grant Reviews,” Latham & Watkins Client Alert, June 16, 2017.
- Giles S. Rich American Inn of Court, Member