Allen J. Jung’s practice includes patent drafting and prosecution before the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO), as well as counseling and opinion work that advance clients’ business interests. Allen brings with him a unique set of experiences stemming from various leadership positions he held at the USPTO. Those positions equipped him with wide-ranging knowledge on different technologies and reliable expertise on producing quality patents.
Prior to entering private practice, Allen was a Patent Review Quality Assurance Specialist (RQAS) at the USPTO. As an RQAS, he reviewed rejections and allowances issued by patent examiners in business methods, software, mechanical, and design areas for statutory compliance. In addition, his duties included regularly serving as a pre-appeal and appeal conference panelist as well as advising patent examiners on potential ex parte appeal outcomes. He also frequently instructed patent examiners on substantive topics related to 35 U.S.C. 112(f) and 35 U.S.C. 101, and served as a panel reviewer for granting signatory authority to junior examiners.
Prior to working as a quality assurance specialist, Allen externed as a technology center trainer at the USPTO. He trained and mentored patent examiners on all stages of examining procedures, while bolstering their skills in legal analysis, interview practices, prior art search, and drafting of Office Actions. Furthermore, his time at the USPTO included working as a patent examiner for over eight years, in applications covering shipping technologies, pricing, electronic reservation systems, metering, tolling, mobile applications, and operations research.
Allen is fluent in Korean.
* Admitted only in NJ. Practice limited to matters and proceedings before federal courts and agencies.
- Worked at the Office of Patent Quality Assurance (OPQA) at the USPTO for over two years.
- Had 30 ex parte patent appeals affirmed out of 35 career PTAB decisions as a former patent examiner.
- As a workshop instructor at the USPTO, received 100% positive ratings from the examiners trained in his sessions.
- New Jersey
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Seton Hall University School of Law J.D., 2014
- University of Illinois, B.S., Computer Science, and Minors, Mathematics and Business Administration, 2007