Bookoff McAndrews (BoMc) is seeking a Patent Specialist with 2-6 years of experience to join our firm’s patent specialist team. Like many “patent paralegal” or “patent legal secretary” positions, this position will provide administrative support to a small team of attorneys (around four).
The Patent Specialist’s primary responsibilities will be to perform all tasks to support assigned patent attorneys including:
- using the firm’s software tools to prepare USPTO patent prosecution forms, drafting Office Action “shells,” and other patent office e-filings;
- uploading, verifying accuracy, and submitting USPTO e-filings via EFS;
- preparing and e-filing PCT applications in the USPTO via EFS;
- recording assignments using USPTO’s EPAS system;
- maintaining accurate patent files in the firm’s electronic document management system (currently Worldox);
- drafting, revising, and sending routine client correspondence and reporting e-mails;
- proofreading all filings and correspondence for spelling, content, punctuation, and grammar;
- pre-processing, flagging, and clearing tasks on assigned attorneys’ dockets; and
- interacting effectively with other departments to support assigned attorneys.
In addition, the Patent Specialist will generally support the firm’s patent practice by:
- assisting with updating and improving the firm’s patent administrative processes, procedures, and forms;
- assisting with implementing and refining the firm’s use of new software and web-based tools;
- periodically assisting with overflow work from other patent specialists;
- periodically assisting other attorney-specialist pairings with special projects; and
- periodically assisting with large file transfer, assignment, and/or power of attorney projects.
- At least two years of recent patent legal secretarial experience in a law firm setting.
- Advanced Microsoft Office skills, typing at 65+ WPM, and impeccable attention to detail.
- Ability to multi-task, manage multiple priorities, and work in a team environment.
- Preferred experience with Foundation IP, AppColl, Worldox, and/or Anaqua.
- Positive attitude toward client service and support of assigned attorneys.
- Enjoy working in a fast-paced office environment during “core” business hours.
- Self-starter with commitment to success and personal professional growth.
- Outstanding organizational, interpersonal and professional service skills (written and verbal).
- Enjoy being involved in all aspects of a growing and changing law firm environment.
We are a dedicated and friendly team who enjoys our work. It shows in the quality of our work and it’s recognized. Vault.com named us the #1 Best Midsize Firm to Work For in 2022, which includes #1 rankings across key benchmarks for “diversity,” “satisfaction,” “firm culture,” and “quality of work.” We offer:
- competitive compensation and benefits;
- a respectful, collegial environment centered around diversity, teamwork, trust, and humility;
- flexible arrival/departure times around “core” business hours;
- modern and comfortable office space convenient to three Metro Stations;
- smart-casual dress code;
- regular firm outings and events; and
- staff appreciation activities.