Bookoff McAndrews (BoMc) is seeking an experienced Patent Specialist to join our firm’s patent specialist team. Like many “patent paralegal” or “patent legal secretary” positions, this position will provide administrative support to a small team of attorneys (around 4).
The Patent Specialist’s primary responsibilities will be to perform all tasks to support assigned patent attorneys including:
- using the firm’s software tools to prepare USPTO patent prosecution forms, drafting Office Action “shells,” and other patent office e-filings;
- uploading, verifying accuracy, and submitting USPTO e-filings via EFS;
- preparing and e-filing PCT applications in the USPTO via EFS;
- recording assignments using USPTO’s EPAS system;
- maintaining accurate patent files in the firm’s electronic document management system (currently Worldox);
- drafting, revising, and sending routine client correspondence and reporting e-mails;
- proofreading all filings and correspondence for spelling, content, punctuation, and grammar;
- pre-processing, flagging, and clearing tasks on assigned attorneys’ dockets; and
- interacting effectively with other departments to support assigned attorneys.
In addition, the Patent Specialist will generally support the firm’s patent practice by:
- assisting with updating and improving the firm’s patent administrative processes, procedures, and forms;
- assisting with implementing and refining the firm’s use of new software and web-based tools;
- periodically assisting with overflow work from other patent specialists;
- periodically assisting other attorney-specialist pairings with special projects; and
- periodically assisting with large file transfer, assignment, and/or power of attorney projects.
- At least two years of recent patent legal secretarial experience in a law firm setting.
- Advanced Microsoft Office skills, typing at 65+ WPM, and impeccable attention to detail.
- Ability to multi-task, manage multiple priorities, and work in a team environment.
- Preferred experience with Foundation IP, AppColl, Worldox, and/or Anaqua.
- Positive attitude toward client service and support of assigned attorneys.
- Enjoy working in a fast-paced office environment during “core” business hours.
- Self-starter with commitment to success and personal professional growth.
- Outstanding organizational, interpersonal and professional service skills (written and verbal).
- Enjoy being involved in all aspects of a growing and changing law firm environment.
We are a dedicated and friendly team who enjoys coming into the office. It shows in the quality of our work and it’s recognized. Vault ranked us in the top 10 across all midsize firms throughout the country in “firm culture,” “diversity,” “satisfaction,” and “best firms to work for.” We offer:
- competitive compensation and benefits;
- a respectful, collegial environment centered around diversity, teamwork, trust, and humility;
- flexible arrival/departure times around “core” business hours;
- modern and comfortable office space convenient to three Metro Stations;
- “Jeans Day” on all Fridays;
- sit-stand desks for all employees;
- regular firm outings and events; and
- staff appreciation activities.
For more information about us, please click here.